I have moved this blog! Find it here

Sunday, 25 November 2012

Nina Simone

Nina Simone
I don’t know as much about Nina Simone and her music as I would like to, but I enjoy her music very much so I decided to do a quick mention of her anyway. I mean, it is my women in jazz series and she definitely deserves a spot! I will do another post on her, once I get to know her a bit more, which will happen soon, because I’m quite intrigued by her. The way she takes on some of the songs is very interesting and her voice takes a bit of getting used to, I think, but after that, it becomes great. It is puzzling but is also rewarding because of that. Another thing I like about her music is that she fills it with raw emotion. Sometimes you can’t quite put your finger on it, but you can just feel something strong.
Here are a few examples of my favourite Nina Simone songs. I love her version of ‘I Put a Spell On You’, I feel it’s the best one (and there are many versions of the song out there). I enjoy the genius irony in ‘I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free’ - the music is so cheerful, but there’s absolutely nothing cheerful about the lyrics. And because I didn’t want to put too many examples in this post I decided for only one more song. I feel ‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine’ is a good example of what I was saying about raw emotion. The singing and the backing piano (which she plays by herself of course) just gets to you. I’ve listened to the song so many times, but it still grabs me every time, because I can’t quite get to the bottom of it.

I can’t wait to do a longer post on Nina Simone. Until then, any thoughts on her or her music?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your name under the comment, otherwise I'm left wondering who was it :)