I have moved this blog! Find it here

Thursday, 13 December 2012

Christmas special, part 2

Snowy Snow by Žan Anderle
Here’s a follow-up on the post I did a few days ago. This time around, I’ll mention a few Christmas albums that are a bit different from the usual stuff. A kind of change that is very welcomed among Christmas music, that otherwise sounds the same most of the time.

First off, it’s the Godfather of Soul - James Brown and his album James Brown's Funky Christmas. The title pretty much sums it up and it’s quite an unusual combination, at least for my ears, but that doesn’t mean it’s not good. If you ask me, it’s actually great. There are a few misses along the way, but overall it’s a great Christmas album, with amazing, powerful, energetic James’ singing. I definitely recommend it, if you’re in the mood for something different. Listen to Sweet Little Baby Boy or Let’s Make Christmas Mean Something This Year to get a taste of it. Do you know the song Please Come Home For Christmas? Here’s James Brown’s surprising rendition. It’s very different from other versions which is exactly why I love it.


The First Lady of The Song recorded Christmas albums too. And good thing she did. Listen to Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas to hear how classic Christmas songs were supposed to be sung. Here’s my favourite on the album, ‘What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?’.

Last, but not least is one of my favourite musicians of all time, Ray Charles. In 1985, he recorded The Spirit of Christmas. Before this year, I didn’t even know he recorded a Christmas album. I think I know, which album I’ll have on repeat this Christmas. The warm, soulful sounds Ray managed to create time and again, fit perfectly with the Christmas spirit and the result can be heard on this album. I wouldn't listen to this album outside the Christmas season though, for it sounds cheesy at times. But since it is Christmas, I love it!
Here’s my favourite on the album, ‘All I Want For Christmas’, and don’t let the title scare you, it’s not Mariah Carey...

What are your favourites? What do you think of my humble selection? Comments from anyone are, as always, welcome.
Next time, since a good friend requested it, it’s Otis Redding (if anyone else has any requests, you should never hesitate!). I’m Looking forward to this one! I’ll leave you off with a great song, which connects this post and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your name under the comment, otherwise I'm left wondering who was it :)